Sunday, August 11, 2013

The End of an Era, and the Beginning of a New One

It's official: after five years, New London Village is leaving TARDIS region for a smaller, less expensive land somewhere.  The realities of Linden Lab's artificially high prices have necessitated scaling back.  So this year's London Village Festival has turned out to be the last at its present location.

Three years ago, when I was driven out of Who Island, the sim I started and initially ran, it was Kat, Laredo, and their core community who gave me a home in SL.  They forgave my monumental fuckup in 2011 and let me stay without banning me from the region, understanding that I'd made a mistake and learned from it.  They've endured relentless attacks from small-minded people who couldn't abide a more successful region than their own, endured through staff changes, kept things interesting and always strived to evolve the sim to see where and how far they could take it.

Now they're moving, and although things will continue, albeit on a smaller scale (New London Systems will continue with its store and lineup of goods), it won't be quite the same as before.  Yet change is a constant factor in real life and Second Life alike, and what really matters at the end of the day is how we deal with it.  I know I'm not alone when I say, "Thank you, Kat, Laredo, and all the others who have put in so much time and energy into New London, through the good times and the bad.  You guys rock AND roll, and I wish you success and happiness in the next phase of your journey through Second Life."

Just to show you how popular New London was and is...

No comments:

Post a Comment